Saturday, January 31, 2015

Adams' prayer update



Question: “Are you religious?”

A student recently asked me this question. I hesitated to answer him, because of what I thought would be his preconceived idea of religion. In other words, a “yes” response was what he was waiting for, but it was not all I wanted to leave with him. The bell was going to ring soon to dismiss class, so I quickly answered with this response: “No, I’m not religious in the way you might think of that word. I don’t DO things so I will get to go to heaven. I simply enjoy a personal relationship with God’s Son, Jesus. Because of His forgiveness for my sins, this relationship I have makes me want to go to church, to pray, and to worship God as I look forward to being with Him eternally in heaven one day. I think this student got the answer he was expecting, but I pray he received a lot more.

Question:  “What does this passage say about people?”

Mike and I were facilitating the Bible study based on Luke 18: 9-17. In the story, the Pharisee and the tax collector prayed. One of the men recited a list of virtuous conduct on his part, while the other emotionally pleaded with God for mercy. Judit responded to the question above by saying that we just need to love each other and be kind. Krisztina didn’t say much all night, but a few days after this study she emailed me to say that, while she understood we are to pray humbly before God, she didn’t know why it should be important for her. It was not until she read the same thing in several devotional books that she realized God was speaking to her about humble prayer in her own life.

We appreciate that you took the time to read our update. Please let us know what you think and how we can pray for you.

Mike and Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment